It's during these times that I turn to my favorite quick and easy meals that my helpers (crockpot, rice cooker, etc.) and I use to get food on the table quickly.
- Use rice that you have precooked or, as I do, put your rice and water into the rice cooker while you get everything else going.
- Put a small amount of water in a hot skillet and add frozen veggies (I like to use a California Medley). You can also buy a blend that is put together specifically for stir-fry that might include mushrooms and water chestnuts. I always include water chestnuts.
- Put soy sauce and chowmein noodles on the table, serve up the rice and and your veggies. Done.
Couscous topped with Black Beans
- Start heating water for your couscous
- The most time-consuming job for this meal is chopping your toppings and that takes very little time! We use chopped onions, tomatoes, soy sauce and guacamole.
- Heat black beans that you have previously cooked or use canned.
- The very last thing you should do is cook your couscous. It takes 5 minutes or less and when it is ready, you want to serve it immediately or it will clump - that is why I wait until everything else is ready to start cooking it.
- Serve up the couscous and black beans and let everyone add their favorite toppings
Pad Thai (Happy Herbivore)
- Put on water to boil for your pasta
- Mix together your sauce (basically water, soy sauce, peanut butter, water and chili sauce)
- Add frozen vegetables to the cooking pasta until they are heated through.
- Strain pasta and veggies, return to pot and add sauce
Baked Potato Halves topped with Chili
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Cut potatoes in half and place face-down on a lined baking sheet, cook for 1 hour (I do this earlier in the day).
- Prepare your favorite chili recipe earlier in the day.
- At mealtime, top baked potatoes with chili and enjoy
What's your favorite Quick and Easy Go To meal?